Modern Folk Art Illustrations on Your iPad in Procreate + Free Folk Art Stamp Brushes and Templates
I finally created a class for one of my favorite styles of art — modern folk art. It combines the illustrative patterning of traditional folk art with bright vintage inspired colors. The best part about modern folk art? There are really no rules! Folk art is defined by the lack of rules and formal training needed to create it.
You could use this process to create a homage to your house, church, or a historical building in your city. You could even make a decorative portrait of your pet! (please, please, someone do this!)
In the class, I’ll show you how to create modern folk art on your iPad in Procreate. I’ll show you every step of my process from planning and sketching to creating brush stamps and balancing a composition.
I’ll show you how to:
- create a single-color symmetrical illustration inspired by Swedish folk art.
- use the free downloadable templates and brush stamps I made to create a balanced, playful piece.
- combine lettering and illustration to create a multi-colored piece inspired by Scandinavian folk art.
- balance shapes and color around the text to create eye catching illustrations that make your lettering stand out online and in print.
- create a symmetrical flower and leaf painting using gouache brush textures.
- combine multiple plant shapes and colors to create a modern twist on Mexican Folk Art.
When you take this class you get all of the brushes and templates I created as free downloads so you don’t have to start from scratch. I’ll show you how to create your own brush stamps so you can turn absolutely anything into a brush stamp illustration. We’ll cover how to make single image stamps like these:
and vine stamps like these:
All you need to do this process is your iPad and a stylus. I’ll be using the Apple Pencil in the class, but you could use any stylus, or even your finger.
Ready to take this class? Go to the class page to get started. If you don’t have a Skillshare membership, you can still watch the class for free. Just sign up for a 2 month free trial to get started. See you there!